Friday, September 3, 2010

Sept 2, 2010

September 2, 2010 – From Paul


We got through the swirling winds going north and the Danielle Hurricane from the south without any major problems. Our room TV monitor depicts the Ocean and the speed and location of our ship. During the rush to get between the storms, we traveled at 21 knots, but now it’s usually 11 to 13 knots. It is Thursday and we plan to arrive in Cadiz, Spain on Saturday for 5 days. We will be attending an Authentic Andalucía Flamenco Scene, taking a one day trip to Seville on the train, and eating and shopping at Spanish Market & Tapas. When not attending these events, we will explore Cadiz on our own or likely with other aged people and young students. We have been given excellent presentations on board where to go, visit, and places to eat including my favorite Paella.

Oh, I have to share with you all a funny experience I had this past week. Every night from 5:30 to 6:30 all the Life Long Learners ( aged people) meet when enroute to an upcoming port. Each night different topics are discussed usually about what’s happening on the ship and news about the upcoming port. This past week, the leader was sharing that some relatives are finding each other among the LLL. Just as he was sharing that info with us, Desmond TuTu and his wife came in to join our group and were sitting down. I raised my hand to ask a “question and when he responded to me, I suddenly “yelled out” to Desmond – “my Daddy is here” and while everyone was laughing loudly Desmond came running across the floor where I was sitting and gave me a big hug and I accidently pinched him on his tush. He didn’t jump so he might have enjoyed it. Ha! I was going to share with him that in the US, we now have some gay marriages in certain states and some of us are coming out of the closet. However, there was too much laughter going on so I didn’t have the opportunity to explain. Maybe I will have another chance if we are alone. Anyway, as he was going back to his seat, I “yelled out” to his wife there is “my Mommy” at which time I ran over to her and gave her a big Hug (but I didn’t pinch her tush). I have seen them both in the hallways a few times since and always refer to them as my mother and father. They obviously know my name now as they always say my son Paul. Suzanne had the audacity to tell me I was inappropriate to pinch him on his tush and I thought that was the very first time she ever said something like that after 46 years of marriage. Ha Ha

One more funny experience. Shocking to all of you, I signed up to attend one on my most intellectual classes titled “ Comedic Styles of Performance.” In his second class, the professor wanted all us to bring a joke to the next class to tell in front of the class. I truly am not one that neither tells jokes nor remembers them. However, the day before one of the LLL men shared a joke with me so I decided to use it. When my turn came up to do it, I explained to the group this was difficult as I am usually shy and an introvert. Then I told them that Dr. Milt and Frank who were sitting in the group (LLL’s who I have teased) pressured me to tell you this joke as they were too scared to do it themselves. I explained to them that I was embarrassed but I would try.

Now the Joke—there was this young man who was obsessed with female breasts. He couldn’t go anywhere without constantly thinking about this. He became so obsessed he was having difficulty sleeping and eating. He decided to see a therapist (who was a good one) and shared with him his problem. The therapist listened and said do a free association test to help him understand better. He explained that he will say a word and wanted the patient to say the first word that comes to his head. Now close your eyes and concentrate on what I will say. He then said grapes and the patient said breasts. He then said oranges and responded breasts. He then said cantaloupes and he responded breasts. He then said wind shield wipers and he responded breasts. The therapist threw up his hand and said I understand the first 3 but how do you associate windshield wiper with breasts. The patient responded that when you put your head between the breasts and kiss the one on the left and then kiss the one on the right then back to the left then right then left then right, it is like a windshield wiper. Ha Ha The class went crazy as I timidly tip toed back to my seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment