Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kakum National Park - Ghana September 25, 2010 by Paul

Kakum National Park - Ghana September 25, 2010 by Paul


Suzanne will write you all and share some of our unique experiences in Ghana. However, I thought you would enjoy my unique experience on the canopy tour of the Kakum National Park and Rainforest. We first had to walk up a steep hill of very uneven ‘sort-of-flat rocks’– approximately 350 kilometers to get to the canopy walk over the tops of extremely tall trees. We stopped once to catch our breath. It started to rain slightly and I remembered we had left our ponchos on the tour bus. When we reached the canopy the rain was coming down really hard. Well, it is a rainforest after all. I was wearing this large tan sun hat that Suzanne ordered from a travel catalog and makes me look like a YOKO! Others, however and Suzanne, say it looks so nice. I think they are humoring me. Anyway, the brim is so large it kept the rain off my bald head and glasses. This canopy walk is approximately 350 meters long which is broken up into 7 bridges of 35 to 50 yards long. They hang over 100-200 meters above the forest floor. Each bridge was composed of several 10’x1’ boards end to end which were encased by ropes and cables chest high on both sides to grasp while crossing.






The swinging walkway
I stood up on the platform ready to resume the challenging walk. When I put my left foot forward on the wood walkway it swung to the left. Then right foot forward - swing to the right. They warned everyone not to look down as it would spook you and you don’t need to have a panic attack at that time. Ha! So here I go. Swing to the left –swing to the right –swing to the left –swing to the right –then the person behind me got on which adds to the swinging. Here I am focusing on walking with all this swinging going on – raining like Hades- totally soaked to my bones (except my head – at least I could see thanks to that darn hat!)- praying my inner dam wouldn’t break due to my recent intestinal problems(I’m sure the person behind me felt the same even though they didn’t know about my problem)– my poncho on the bus was totally dry- I’m trying not to look down- hoping a African snake would not fall on my head from the trees – and now I started to laugh and think “Why did I go half way around the world for THIS?”

More swinging to left then to the right back to the left and then back to the right- my right forearm was starting to hurt because I was rubbing it against the side of the bridge cable while pulling myself across this swinging bridge. I finally see the wooden platform in front of me about 30 more feet. At last, the platform and stability– my heart is racing – my dam didn’t break- I take a deep breath – six more swinging bridges to go! Now I would appreciate it if ALL you all who are reading this STOP laughing. It sure wasn’t funny at the time. Anyway, with the help of the man upstairs I finally completed the canopy walk and was ready to descend to ground level. I forgot to tell you that I think the man who made the stone walkway was drunk as the stones were not level –jagged-sideways etc. The path is now muddy and slick and downhill! There were a few hand rails to grasp, but not many as I take one step at a time. I was being very careful not to turn my ankle and fall down. Still thanking the man above for my dam not to break and taking one step at a time. I’m stepping over tree roots, poisonous snakes, crocodiles, monkeys jumping all over, and I finally reach the bottom. Shocking to everyone – I yelled loudly “Halleluiah” with my arms rose to the skies as everyone heard me and had the audacity to laugh at me. I got on the bus and now understand why they put a plastic covering over the seats as we all were soaked to our bones and muddy. Suzanne’s white pants were generously sprinkled with mud dots. Maybe that will be a new design! The bus took us to lunch at the Botel Restaurant for an authentic Ghanaian lunch. This lovely outdoor dining facility had a bar – another “Halleluiah” and was built on a small lake that housed ‘friendly crocodiles’ which coming crawling like ducks when fed bread by the guests.



Suzanne, Ann and Pat at end of the trail!

Then we were off to our resort for the evening. Most of the roads we traveled were paved, but one from the Midwest would think they had lots of ice and snow storms and had not yet repaired the potholes! We must have hit every pothole possible which splashed muddy red water on everything in sight. My inner dam could break any moment. We arrived at the Coconut Grove Beach Resort – very nice, normal toilets that worked – “Halleluiah” again. These were not the type of toilets we had been trained about in the pre-port talk. I am ready for a stiff drink and nap. Ha Ha! I survived – Yea – Yea ! The resort was really lovely, by the sea, outdoor dining, pool, sandy beach and coconut palms (well we are almost on the equator. The vendors of Ghanaian clothes, jewelry, drums, masks and other crafts arrived within minutes of our arrival and set upon the beach wall right in front of the bar and dining facility. They are ubiquitous! They know how to follow the money!

On a serious note-the extreme poverty was very striking – children begging – families living in destitution. Yet the Ghanaians are so friendly and very excited to talk to us and be helpful. Yes, I’m sure they want our money but a country that takes great pride in their soccer. They like to remind us that they beat us in the World Cup this year. They always ask where we live in the U.S. President Obama recently visited the country with his family which obviously meant a great deal to them. He is seen with the President of Ghana on billboards, fabrics and other items. Here we are sitting in this beautiful resort and golf course enjoying the beauty and yet see poverty all around us. Suzanne and I felt guilty that we have so much and others in this world so little – it is just not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment